The Rogers Curve of Innovation illustrates that the innovators represent the 2.5% of the population that embrace new technologies and ideas long before the early adopters and early majority of the general population. Today, in the Puget Sound region, especially in the Seattle area, high performance and Built Green® homes are the norm and specifically requested by the buying public, but it wasn’t always so.
In 2003 when I was on the fence about certifying my homes as Built Green®, I learned it is the innovators who change the public’s perception of whatever the thing is. This knowledge led me to a business decision to lead the way for the speculative home builders in the Seattle area. From that moment, I began to push the envelope and learned how to produce high performance, Built Green® certified homes that would be competitively priced in the market place.
My industry took notice. Over the following years I received many thanks from my peers and other construction industry leaders.
- Building Industry Association of WA Builder Appreciation: 2016
- Built Green Hammer Awards: 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2014
- Built Green Pioneer Award: 2009
- Seattle Built Green Design Competition: 2005
- Eco-Building Guild: 10x10x10: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017
- Energy Star Homes NW: 2007
- Home Street Bank Great Neighbor, Great Business Award: 2007
- King County: Green Globe Award — Leader in Sustainability: 2015
- Master Builders of King/Sno Counties Builder of the Year: 2014
- National Assn of Home Builders: Green Building Advocate 2014